Turin, Italy, September 28, 2018 - Brazil and USA clash Friday evening to decide who finishes first and who second in their 3rd Round pool at the 2018 FIVB World Championship. Both are already qualified to Saturday's semifinals, but the result will determine the pairings of these semifinals. With both teams on 1-1 records in the pool, it is a straightforward matter of winning the game to finish first.
USA lead the head-to-head series in the World Championship 5-2, but the two sides have not met in the competition since the 2006 edition, when the South Americans won in straight sets.Head-to-Head
• Brazil and United States will meet at the World Championship for the first time since 2006, when Brazil won 3-0 in the second group stage.
• This is the eighth encounter between Brazil and United States at the World Championship. United States won five and Brazil two of the previous seven.
• Brazil's other win came in 1970, 3-0.
• The last time United States won a World Championship match against Brazil came in 2002 when they prevailed after five sets.
• Earlier in 2018, these teams met twice in the Nations League. Brazil won 3-2 in the round robin phase, and United States won the bronze-medal match 3-0.Brazil
• Brazil have won eight of their nine matches at the 2018 World Championship, with a 3-1 defeat against Netherlands in the first round being the only exception.
• Brazil's last two World Championship matches went into a fifth set, which they won on both occasions. This was the first time they registered back-to-back matches winning both in five sets at the World Championship.
• Brazil could play three five-setters in a row, a situation they have been in once before at World Championships - defeats against Poland and United States and a win against Hungary in 1960.
• Brazil have reached the final at each of the last four World Championships, winning the world title in 2002, 2006 and 2010 and losing the final in 2014 against Poland.
• Brazil have won at least one set in each of their last 26 World Championship matches, after losing 3-0 against Bulgaria in 2010.
• Wallace De Souza is Brazil's top scorers at this World Championship on 130 points.United States
• United States stretched their record run of wins from the beginning of a World Championship to nine matches with their straight-sets win against Russia.
• United States are the only team to have a 100% winning record at the 2018 World Championship.
• United States have a chance to equal the highest number of wins ever by any nation at a single World Championship, set by Poland in 2014 (12). They need to win their remaining three matches to achieve this feat.
• United States have won nine matches at a World Championship for the first time. They topped their previous record of eight victories in 1974.
• United States have won three consecutive World Championship matches in straight sets. They could equal their longest ever run of 3-0 wins at World Championships, four in 1982 (Chile, Libya, Venezuela, Iraq).
• Aaron Russell paced his team in scoring against Russia, with a match-high 17 points. He is now United States's most prolific scorer in the tournament (119 total points).